Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Witching Hour

For the past 24 hours, I've had up to 15 kids running in and out, and up and down and all through my house - and my youngest son wasn't even at home! Add to that commotion my poor little broke-leg dog, and the scene around here has teetered close to outright anarchy.

I love my kids, and I want their friends to feel welcome at our house, so I tried hard not to completely freak out about the mess and the mayhem. I turned on some music to drown out the screaming and yelling, and distracted myself by baking brownies and making chili and cleaning up whatever they tracked in or spilled on the floor.  I was handling it all pretty well, somehow not letting the pandemonium get to me, until the dog threw-up. That was it. I chased the last few kids outside and put them on notice that Miss Amy's fun house is officially closed until tomorrow.

It's a real challenge somedays to stay cool amid the chaos, especially when my arthritis pain flares up. My neck has been hurting since I woke this morning, and it has only gotten worse as the day has progressed. Dragging out the vacumn this evening didn't help any, but those pistachio shells and brownie crumbs weren't going to clean themselves.

Now that the kitchen is clean and the laundry is folded, I think I'll treat myself to a nice hot bath. For a really long time.

It's been a long day.

Here's a "recipe" for a muscle-soothing bath soak. The friend who shared it with me calls it "Witches Brew". It's great after a massage.
- 1 box Epsom salt (I say the more the better)
- 1 box of baking soda
- 1 bottle of the green rubbing alcohol

I try to soak for at least 30 minutes. Or until the water gets cold, if I can swing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment