Sunday, January 16, 2011

Namaste!

Welcome to down-dog amy! This is my very first post, on my very first blog, and I appreciate you for coming to check it out.

Visit this blog frequently to read and share information for coping with arthritis and chronic pain through yoga practice. I'll also share puppy training tips, and information on how pet ownership can help you live a fuller, healthier life.

I am a 40-year-old mother of three very - um, how do I put this nicely? - "spirited" children! We have a lively household, and at times things veer into downright chaos! My greatest struggle in keeping up with my active family is that I suffer from severe arthritis in my neck, knee and hands. It's frustrating when your body won't let you do the things you want and need to do! Along with various other coping skills, I've found that yoga helps me deal with the pain, stay centered, and somewhat calm.

Like a lot of folks, I took some time at the beginning of the new year to think about my goals, reflecting on things in my life that I'd like to change, things I'd like to try, and how to best take advantage of all of the opportunities available to me. You know, the dreaded New Year's resolutions -  Get fit, learn a new hobby, etc., etc. Unfortunately, this little exercise, instead of inspiring expectant optimism, caused my thoughts to turn dark as I began to think about all of the things that I can't do, and I indulged in a mini pity-party: a lot of my friends are participating in Marathon Makeover or Couch to 5k - well poor, poor me, I can't run. Maybe I could finally learn to play guitar and be a mommy rock-star? Oh, wait, my fingers hurt too bad. And so on, and so on. I had a excuse for everything, and pretty much decided that I would spend this next year wallowing in self-pity.

Good thing that's not an option!

So here's the new plan: recommit to a regular yoga practice, make time each day to update my blog, house-train our new puppy, and take care of myself when I don't feel good - without feeling guilty!
What are your new year's resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment